Sunday, May 20, 2012


May 20, 2012

Well, we have been here in Port Alfred for one whole week all by ourselves.
Sunday was my first ever experience at presiding in a sacrament meeting. It went fairly well except for a few things. I welcomed everybody to church, introduced my new councilors, had an opening song and prayer and since there was no branch business went immediately to the sacrament song. The members here sing well and it was a lovely song, I enjoyed the spirit it brought. When the song was over I got the sacrament prayer card from under my seat that I had so carefully placed there before the meeting started and waited for the prayer to start. There was only one problem, it didn't. I had forgotten to have priesthood assigned to administer the sacrament. No problem, I have two councilors, problem solved. We waited while they broke the bread which gave us (me) more time to reflect on the need of the Saviors help in our lives.

 Being a little un-nerved I proceeded to announce the rest of the program. The two full time Elders were speaking and I thought, good, things are now under control. I can sit back and enjoy the Spirit and be taught, and I was taught but not as I had anticipated. Sacrament meetings are to last 1 hour and 10 minutes but the Elders were done leaving 15 minutes of time. Lesson #2 ALWAYS be prepared with a message to share no matter who is speaking. I arose, bore my testimony of the truth of what had been shared and closed in the Lords name. I then looked to see what the closing song should be and noticed I had forgotten to announce and therefore sing the intermediate hymn, which would have come in handy to have done. All worked out well though. I'll take what I can get. Anyway it gave me more time to visit with the investigators and members of the branch. At least we didn't have a drunk come in during sacrament like last week and start asking people for money. I think the Lord must have known my plate was full and He extended one of His tender mercies.
It's a good thing I have people praying for me or things could have gone badly. Keep praying for us. I know with your prayers and ours, the Lord will help us be a better example of how the church programs should work.
Next week will go better.

Janet helped in primary as one of the councilors, who was to give the lesson, did not show up.  So she winged it for about 20 minutes. All those family home evening lesson we gave our children came in quite handy. You sing, play, and sing, play and time to go home comes before you notice. I think Janet has finally started her exercise program, head, shoulders, knees and toes numerous time as fast as you can is a good start.
 She surprised herself as it turned out fairly well.  Their primary is so small that they only have a president and one councilor and she only comes half of the time.  Today there were 10+ children ranging from 3 to 12, (some of them were moving too fast to count) and it is kind of hard to hold the attention of everyone because of the different ages and attention levels.  President Stumm is planning on splitting the primary into two classes, which should help quite a bit.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard it said that you learn something new every single day of your life...it seems your learning curve was rather high today!...sounds like Primary is the same everywhere....kids moving and grooving to Head shoulders knees and toes and primary presidents trying to find subs for teachers that didn't show up for the day.

    ReplyDelete