Friday, August 10, 2012


August 10, 2012



 We had another branch activity night.  The intent of the branch activity was to bring the families in the branch closer together through spending time together playing games and other activities.  However, what has happened is that the parents don’t come, but their children and a lot of the friends do.  That is all well and good, but it isn’t meeting the intended purpose of the activities. We have told everyone if they get to activity and a ride home will be provided.  Most people do not have transport and by the time the activity is over it is dark and unsafe to walk home, so we have been doing it that way.  If they make the effort to get there, we can get them home.





Tonight was another night as usual and maybe 3 adults came and about 20 kids from about 8 years old to 15, members and non-members. One member girl brought 5 of her friends.  We made 3 trips to Station Hill and the township that night taking people home.  The missionaries also provided rides home to members as they cannot take nonmembers in their car.  One group we took home consisted of 8 mutual age kids.  When all were in the car, one of them immediately started to run their fingers through my hair.  They rubbed it, twirled it, pulled it into a ponytail, and massaged my head.  It really did feel good, but it was a little weird!  When we stopped to drop them off, a number of the girls rubbed the top of my head and said “soft hair”.  Now their hair is usually kinky and quite course, so mine did feel quite different from theirs and they were fascinated with it.  They are also not used to being in close contact with white people, so we were quite a novelty to them, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, yeahhhhh, a little weird. ... but a free head massage-- I say go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To think I have to pay my kids to give me massages...unless I can remember the 'free massage' coupon that D. gave me, but it's only good on Tuesdays and I often forget about it on that day....I say go with it too! What a great treat! :)

    ReplyDelete